Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Marriage in 2010

I have been married for 10 years now and I must say that things sure have changed within society. You have those that participate in open marriages, or live under nontraditional living arrangements....just to name a few. And the feedback I received was surprising. Married life seemed to be just the same or in some cases better. So when I was asked how do I feel about the way marriage is being viewed, I couldn't help but feel a tad bit old...you know "Grand-Fathered In". But then I began to view it with an open mind and see things with a different light. I mean, I have been married for 10 years but I have also been with my husband since I was 14 years old. That alone carries a lot of weight for someone my age. You see, I always tell people that I've had the opportunity to have been blessed with every type of man within one man...now stay with me here. What I mean by that is, we all have friends whom confide in us about their relationships. Either their spouse/partner isn't a good lover, mother, father, provider, or best friend, and this leads to them being replaced or in some cases this may open the door to infidelity. With the generational culture changes and the diversity of our country, we are bound to be met with changes in all areas and aspects of our lives. While I can't say that I'm for an open marriage or separate living arrangements, I can say that having time apart...maybe a couple nights a week can prove to be very therapeutic for ones relationship. And I would strongly recommend that Date Night and Me Time be enforced, this will keep the line of communication open...and give you back a small piece of sanity (lol). I know that by having a family, things can get crazy and this can sometimes put a strain on the relationship. Between the kids social lives and activities, time can sometimes get away from you...and that's the only thing in this world that can't be replaced. While I know I'm not an expert on relationships, I do practice "Elevation" this is something I have adopted within my life and it means that every year one should elevate themselves to the next level. So any area of my life that I feel could use some WD-40, I simply Oil It or Replace It! With that being said....in order for any relationship to work and be successful, you MUST have the door open for change and room for growth....Hell, nobody is perfect and I'm still learning this game too. My advice is take baby steps, have fun, and love the one you with!!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I completely agree! You know I also married my high school sweetheart too. We will be married 15 years in December. We just recently separated as you know in June. The separation has certainly been therapeutic. I dont know what the future holds for us but its nice to have date night, Sunday family day-- while I still have my OWN bedroom-- space, etc.. I love it.. Ive never had it and I am basking in my freedom.. I feel like I can be a better woman for him now that Im not so stressed with keeping up with the house duties, me duties, wife duties, kids duties, life duties etc.. But life is great- Thanks for this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe honey, thank you...I'm just happy that my words are things that real people go through everyday and they can relate to it. I'm not just doing this for me...I'm doing this for all my ladies!! thx again sweetheart ~

    ReplyDelete